To promote community awareness, facilitate voluntary compliance with town codes, enhance the quality of life, and foster civic pride.
Charged with the responsibility of proactive enforcement, education, and notification of the town's codes of ordinances; code enforcement seeks voluntary compliance of town codes which are baselines of minimum expectations for the maintenance of the community and environment.
Code enforcement strives to provide a clear systematic and consistent process for the investigation, notification, and conformance of the town's codes.
Be a Partner:
You can make the Town of Longboat Key a better place to live, work, visit, and play by following these steps to resolve code enforcement violations in your neighborhood and community.
1. File a complaint. Please provide detailed information, including exact address or location, and a complete description of the violation.
2. Call Code Enforcement at (941) 361-6411, Ext. 1917, or email at email@example.com.
3. Get involved in the code enforcement process by educating yourself on the content and application of the codes.
Who to Contact:
Chris Elbon, Code Enforcement Officer (941) 361-6411, Ext. 1917
Email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mailing Address: Longboat Key Police Department, 5460 Gulf of Mexico Drive, Longboat Key, FL 34228
Hours: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday through Friday
How Does the Town's Code Enforcement Process Work?
Proactive and effective code enforcement can have a major influence on the safety of the town and its citizens. Safety is the primary concern.
Citizens are normally unaware of proper code compliance.
When a code violation is observed by the Code Enforcement Officer or reported by a complainant, a case is opened and the Code Enforcement Officer attempts to resolve the violation through a process of education, inspection and notices. Continued violations are followed by progressive enforcement, such as forwarding cases to the Code Enforcement Board. Situations that appear to pose a serious risk to health and safety are given a top priority.
Code Enforcement Board:
The Code Enforcement Board conducts hearings and makes a determination on the cases based on the evidence presented at the hearing. The Code Enforcement Board also retains the ability to levy fines in accordance with Florida Statute, Chapter 162.
The Code Enforcement Board hearings are held the second Monday of each month at 10:00 a.m, in the Town Commission Chambers located at Town Hall, 501 Bay Isles Road, Longboat Key, FL 34228.
1. A complaint may be received from a concerned person via phone, e-mail, letter, or in person. Complaints may be completely anonymous if anonymity is requested.
2. As much detailed information as available should be supplied at the time of complaint submission:
§ Address of property
§ If no address is available - identify by a nearby address
§ Description of property
§ Suspected violation(s)
§ Location of suspected violation(s) on the property
3. This information allows the Code Enforcement Officer to go to the property and substantiate the complaint so that the appropriate action may be taken in an investigation.
1. Information collected during an on-going investigation is public record in compliance with Florida records management laws.
2. Detailed information regarding the complaint is verified and documented (with pictures if necessary) and an inspection of the property is conducted to determine if a violation exists.
3. Complaints are investigated in a timely manner, with consideration of seriousness of the violation from a health, safety and welfare standpoint.
4. Inspections are made from the public right-of-way, or on private property with the permission of the owner, and findings from the inspection are noted.
5. Inspections are conducted discreetly and with respect for the property and privacy of others.
6. The Code Enforcement Officer will determine if the complaint is within Code Enforcements' jurisdiction or if the complaint is within jurisdiction of another department or agency and, if so, refer the complaint to the appropriate department or agency.